As fashion director of Details, Matthew Marden oversees all fashion coverage for the magazine, from conceptualizing shoots to dressing celebrities for the cover. It’s a hard job—but someone (chic) needs to do it. The New Yorker, who also contributes to the Daily Details blog on details.com, began his career in the art world before turning his eye to the magazine industry. This winter, Marden’s essentials include pieces of style (“Lace up dress boots work equally well with a suit or jeans”) and function (“A knit hat is a basic piece that every man looks good in –plus it’s an essential piece for battling the elements”).
- Knit hat – A knit hat is a basic, masculine piece that every man looks good in – plus it is an essential piece for battling the elements. Just make sure it’s not oversized.
- Fingerless gloves – I love fingerless gloves because they are functional, but still provide warmth. Plus, there are so many options - fair isle, great neutrals, stripes. They are a great way to add a playful touch to a winter outfit in the same way you would with a pocket square or tie in warmer seasons.
- Cashmere scarf – A cashmere scarf is the perfect layering piece for winter. The fabrication is sleek and comfortable plus, you can use the scarf to add a pop of color to your outfit and break up monochromatic outerwear.
- Wool flannel suit – A wool flannel suit is a perennial men’s piece for the winter season. The thicker fabrication adds heft and texture and serves as the perfect replacement for your all-season light wool suit.
- Lace up dress boots: Lace-up dress boots are a winter staple. They work equally well with a suit or jeans, making them perfect for work or play.
Don’t Miss Out - Shop Matt’s Edit on Lyst